menu   Home ELA Resources French Resources About Me  

Teacher-authors around the world: meet Rosie from New Zealand!

One of the best things about TpT-ing and blogging is getting to meet so many great teachers.

I also love the fact that we are from so many different places and we still get to connect. Some may take for granted that they can chat with people thousand of miles away, but I still marvel at that.

From my little corner down here in Brazil, I had the idea of shining a spotlight on some of my teacher-friends who are all over the world.

Every two weeks starting today, I'll be interviewing teacher-authors from different countries.

Follow my blog if you don't want to miss out on what these amazing people have to share.

Click on the image to check out Rosie's TpT store

Today, I'm interviewing Rosie, a teacher-author from New Zealand.

1. Can you tell us about the place you're from?
I grew up in Whangarei, a town in the upper North Island of New Zealand with a population of about 81,000 people. It’s famous for its beautiful beaches! I currently live and teach in Auckland (NZ’s biggest city of about 1.4 million people) It is one of the few cities in the world to have two harbours on two separate major bodies of water……. and of course lots more beaches!

Rosie and Little Grub at a local beach
2. How diverse are the classrooms in New Zealand?
Very, very diverse! A study was just completed that shows 40% of all Aucklanders (our biggest city) were born outside of New Zealand, and 30% speak more than one language. Elsewhere in NZ, schools are much more bi-cultural (English & Maori) but in the bigger cities they’re very multi-cultural. Auckland in particular has large communities of Pacifica and Asian peoples.
Most NZ classrooms are inclusive and include student with special needs and unique learning styles, as well as the high flyers!

Little Grub touching a Maori carving
3. What's the best aspect of the educational system in New Zealand? And the biggest challenge?
The best aspect is relative freedom to design your own learning experiences to meet the specific needs of your class. There is big emphasis placed on staying aware of current pedagogy and best practice for teaching and learning. Most Kiwi teachers would also pride themselves on a fairly holistic approach to teaching and try to make sure sporting and cultural experiences are interwoven into daily school life.

The biggest challenge currently (my personal opinion) is the changing requirements in education from the government. There’s been a strong move towards more standardised assessment, data gathering and reporting. This is fine when used to inform and tailor your teaching, but really depressing when it feels like so much valuable teaching time is spent on assessing.

Playing with a Paua shell
4. Have you always created your own educational resources?
Yes, I’ve always really enjoyed making my own resources. Now I’m not working full time and it's been nice having more time to indulge in making my resources more lavish! (All the things I wish I’d had more time to do when teaching full time!)

                

5. I absolutely love your product covers! Are you, by any chance, a graphic designer?
You are so kind ;-) Nope, no graphic design expertise, but I did complete a degree in Visual Arts before teacher training, and before that I studied conservation and ecology. I like to think my products are a good combination of both of those areas!!

6. Are there any specific tips you'd give to teachers from New Zealand looking to sell and share their resources on TpT (or similar websites)?

I think being aware of some basic differences in the way America operates is really important, especially as they are the majority of the customers on TpT.... some things to consider (besides the fact the US dollar converts really well to NZ!) include:

· Basic spelling differences (colour/color, etc.)

· Metric vs imperial (I always try to include both in my products)

· Differences in paper size! (A4/A3 vs legal/letter size)

· The fact that their year levels/grades don’t match completely with ours

· A difference (obviously!) in curriculums – I haven’t worried at all about aligning my products to common core and no one seems to mind


I now create all my products in US letter size with American spelling. Customers have the option of requesting an A4 version with alternate spelling, but after more than a year of selling, I’ve only ever had 1 customer request the alternate version! (P.S – it’s much easier to reformat a US Letter size to A4 than the other way around)

A close-up of a silver-fern frond - one of the symbols of New Zealand
7. Just for fun, are there any words or expressions that New Zealanders use that English speakers from other countries might not understand?
Kiwis have all sorts of quirky sayings…… the ones I’m most fond of using on a daily basis are:

· “Good as gold” (I’m fine, it’s great)

· “Yeah nah” - slightly complicated to explain…. It generally means you agree with what the person’s saying but not entirely. Or depending on the emphasis it could also mean: "Ummm I'm thinking", or "yeah-NAH" = "over my dead body", or "YEAH-nah” = "maybe, but probably not!”

· “Sweet as” (Awesome, great)

· “Aye” (rhymes with HAY. This just gets tacked onto the ends of sentences for emphasis, e.g. “It’s all good aye?”)

And that's all folks!

Thank you, Rosie, for kindly accepting to participate! Interviewing you was a joy!

Now go check out the most amazing pictures that Rosie shares on Instagram, peruse her smorgasbord of quirky nature pins or just chat with her on her Facebook or G+ pages.

Don't forget to follow my blog to be the first to read my next interview with a teacher-author around the  world!

READ: Teacher-authors around the world: meet Lindy from South Africa!


READ: Teacher-authors around the world: meet Lisa from Scotland!


READ: Teacher-authors around the world: meet Catia from Portugal!


Thanks for reading!

18 comments:

  1. Lucy!! You've done such a great job - thanks so much for the privilege of being the first person in this fun series..... I can't wait to see what part of the world the next teacher comes from! I'd also love to see a post about you and your experiences teaching in Brazil :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosie, for your kind words!!! Getting this post ready was so much fun :)
      As for a post about me? I guess that will be happening sooner or later - you'll see!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic read!! I love learning about other places around the world. And, I adore you both, Lucy and Rosie!! (and lil grub is pretty cute too!) =) Gabi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gabi! Glad you stopped by :D
      I love learning about other places as well and TpT has given me this opportunity. Where else would I "meet" a fabulous clipart artist from Oklahoma? ;)
      Adore you too!

      Delete
  3. I've admired Rosie's work and appreciated her forum posts for a long time . . . it was so fabulous to learn more about her and to see the adorable photos of her li'l grub! Thank you for this great post, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly happy you have enjoyed reading this post, Sherri. That means a lot :)
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This is exciting! You have amazing ideas Lucy! Now I understand your blog's name ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think I have too many ideas and not enough time ;)
      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great interview, and so nice to learn more about you, Rosie! Thanks for the post, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning about how other teachers live/think and I thought others would be interested as well!
      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely post! I always enjoy Rosie's pins and colorful product covers. Thanks for setting up the interview Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Lindy! Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!
      I can't wait to post my next interview in the series ;)

      Delete
  7. Loved reading this post! Kiwis and Aussies seem to have a lot in common! I have always loved Rosie's covers too - such a fun and distinctive style! Thanks ladies for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jean! All my friends who have been to Australia and New Zealand love the countries and the people there.
      By "meeting" teachers like you and Rosie, I understand why :)
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Oh yay! Auckland is where my sister is too. Loved seeing the pictures. I only got to visit once in 2008. Loved every minute.
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a small world isn't it?! Thanks everyone for such sweet comments :-)

      Delete
  9. Great interview Lucy - love her covers:)

    Deniece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that New Zealand is a place of bright colors and that's probably where Rosie's inspiration comes from :)
      Thank you for reading, Deniece!

      Delete